Dad and I flew out of Phoenix at 11:30. It had been a VERY long time since I last flew.
I have only been on a flight once before (going to Denver) and that was probably 15 years ago. So I vaguely remembered that flight and knew that it was no big deal so I wasn't too worried about this flight.
This flight was tough! I guess back when I was ten I didn't have anxiety!
The pilot did a great job flying the plane. I just had a lot of things going against me.
I had to use every bit of technique I learned from my anxiety program! I haven't had to do that since I first went through the program.
At first I thought it was my anxiety so I closed my eyes and did my slow breathing. Then I was light headed and dizzy. So I thought it might be motion sickness (I get car sick pretty easily). I found a good position, continued my breathing and started to feel a little better, but not great.
Then I started getting hungry - OH YEAH - I haven't eaten since 6am. So I snacked on the airplane pretzels and instantly started feeling better. So then I ate the chips I brought with me! After eating something I was able to look out the window and even do some reading.
WHAT A RELIEF!!! I have always wanted to do alot of traveling and while on this flight I worried about being able to do that. How can I fly to places like Australia if I can't handle a 3 hour flight.
DUH Callie - just eat something!!!
I have always been proud of the fact that I can read the signals my body sends me. I know if I have a stomach ache whether it is hunger, anxiety, of flu. I know if I am light headed or have a headache whether it is hunger, anxiety, or something I ate.
But on the flight I had three things hitting me at once and it took me a little longer to figure out what was wrong - anxiety, motion sickness, and hunger.
We shall see if making sure I eat right before the flight home makes it any better.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment