Thursday, September 18, 2008

Becoming a Writer


Today our school district had early release. While all the kids got to go home early, we as teachers had to sit through 2 1/2 hours of meetings. It gets a little tough there towards the end of the meetings but it is a nice change of pace from the regular day to day stuff.


In our first meeting we had a guest speaker. I don't remember her name but she was San Diego's Teacher of the year before she retired and moved to Sun City (WHY she would move from San Diego to Sun City I HAVE NO CLUE - but thats beside the point.) ANYWAY, SHe spoke to us about making our students become writers. Now while most of what she had to say had nothing to do with us in kindergarten (we just want our kids to be able to write words by the end of kinder) there were a few good points and one that will even help me as a writer.


The point she made that I really want to take to heart in my own life (when it comes to journaling/blogging) is to write about the things I want to remember. First I need to think about my life. Second I need to decide what part of my life is special and that I want to remember. And third, write it down in detail explaining why it is special to me.

By doing this we get past the "bed to bed" writing. ie: I got up, had breakfast, went to school, came home, went to bed. What part of that day was special?


This woman's presentation probably wouldn't have stuck in my mind the way it did if I hadn't watched Stephenie Meyer on Ellen yesterday. Meyer had never written anything before her Twilight Series. She had a dream one night and wanted to remember it. She started writing it down and before you know it Twilight was written and she was looking for an agent. Four years later she had written five books and has a movie on the way. All because of a special moment in her life that she wanted to remember.


NOW after writing this, I really didn't have anything special I wanted to remember about my day - well, except for her presentation. So hopefully when I blog next it will be a good story from a new writer (me).

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I do think people get hung up on "well I didn't do anything interesting today" so they can't think of what to write. I don't look at it that way, I right about things that I notice and things that I think about. Those are the things that define my life as it is right now: my reactions to it! I think you have a good blog already, and I'll keep reading!