Several months ago I came across a blog written by a single lds woman. She is an incredible writer and I enjoyed reading one particular post. It is titled, "I Need a Yenta" I will put the link to the site at the end of this post but I also wanted to just put some highlights from her blog in this post. In her post about a Yenta she talks about people setting her up with men. She makes some really funny and true points.
"I base my selective listening on the spouse of the person offering the advice. If their spouse is less than perfect or desirable, I choose not to take their formula into account. Because really, if that is the best man she could find, why would I want to take her advice on the subject? She clearly is not an expert on finding the perfect man..."
"Few people know that the real Yiddish definition of yenta is "busy body," or someone who knows both parties well. An LDS yenta could really serve some helpful purposes, because, trust me, the art of matchmaking has really gone downhill..."
"in my humble opinion, it is all too often found that a wannabe yenta has set up a man and a woman with all of the forethought of "He's single, she's single. Let's set them up!..." (P.S. I have had this happen SEVERAL times!)
"A truly qualified yenta would find and plan a first date that caters to both parties' common interests. All the stress of meeting and dating would be taken off the couple, and true love would ensue..."
So in all fairness, I do appreciate the help of family and friends in their endevers to find me a man. I would just love it if they thought through the process of the set up. Two single people DOES NOT mean perfect match.
So did I find my Yenta? I'm not sure but I'll let you know. I just might have done that, if she goes through with set up. I was talking to her today and she asked me who I have my eye on. "Who is it that you watch in sacrament meeting?" Are you serious, did she just ask me that? She did and I answered. I am not getting my hopes up that she will do anything. I have had enough people tell me they would set me up and do nothing (wannabe Yenta) So I will keep you posted on wether or not I found my Yenta.
http://singles.ldsblogs.com/2007/10/09/i_need_a_yenta
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Haha, you know I always thought it would be fun to match people up. I would take the time!
Good luck :-D
Post a Comment